Services Offered at the Henry County Library
The book collection is divided into the following categories for the readers convenience:
- A book drop is located on the north side of the Library building for your convenience. A drive-thru window is also available.
- Two copy machines are located in the library for public use. One is in the gallery near the entrance to the Childrens' Area; the other is in the Reference Area. The fee for this service is 10 cents for regular and legal size copies and 25 cents for place mat size.
- Faxes can be sent or received at the library. The charge is 75 cents a page for domestic faxes and $3.00 a page of internationa faxes, both incoming and outgoing. Incoming faxes may be picked up at the Circulation desk. Outgoing faxes are sent using the copier/fax machine in the Reference area.
- Various children's programs (which includes Reading Programs and Storytimes) are offered at the library. Program rules and/or registrations are posted and announced before they begin. See the Childrens' Page for details.
- The library also offers dial-a-story. These children's stories are normally changed two times each week and can be heard by dialing (660) 885-4400.
- A well equipped audio-visual department includes the following:
Please reserve this equipment in advance. Typewriter, AVM, Opaque Projector and TV/VCR are for in-library use only. Overhead projector, slide projector, projection screens and digital camera may be checked out.
- IBM Selectric Typewriter
- Augmented Video Machine (AVM)
- Opaque projector
- Overhead projector
- Kodak® Slide Projector
- Two (2) Projection Screens
- Sony Mavica® Digital Camera (640x480 pixels, stores to 3 1/2-inch floppy)
- New books are located on designated shelves with separate areas for adult fiction and non-fiction; large print; young adult; and juvenile fiction.
- Speed Read's are a special collection of "High Demand" materials, such as award winners, bestsellers and popular authors, held on a 3 tier cart in front of Circulation Desk. They are checked out for one week with no renewal.
- Jig-saw puzzles and cake pans are available for checkout.
- Video Tapes and DVD's are available for checkout on a first come, first served basis; videos can not be reserved. A maximum of four (4) videos may be checked out, for a one week period, with no renewals. The fine for overdue videos is $2.00 per day. Non-fiction videos are located in the non-fiction section; other videos and DVD's are in the Video Section.
- Playaways are self-contained digital audiobooks. Smaller than an iPOD, this tiny audiobook comes preloaded with one book and runs on one AAA battery. Playaways are currently located on two orange racks, at the main Circulation Desk and at the Circulation Desk in the Children's area.
- Graphic Novels are similar to comic books, but with a lengthy and more complex story line, similar to those of novels, and bound in a more durable format using the same materials and processes as printed books. New graphic novels are located in the new Y fiction section, older graphic novels may be found in the J fiction, Y fiction and non-fiction areas of the library.
- Book Express service is available to patrons unable to visit the library.
- Interlibrary loan service (for books not owned by Henry County Library) can be requested from another library for a fee of 50 cents per book received.
Microfilm newspapers can be ordered from the State Historical Society of Missouri.
- Electronic Media Resources (EMR) Room has 6 desk-top computers and 4 laptop computers for accessing the Internet and 2 for Word Processing. They are available from 15 minutes after opening and will shut down 15 minutes before closing. A number of on-line databases are available on the EMR computers, including Learning Express, Gale Discovering Collection, EBSCOhost and Newsbank magazine and newspaper search
- Genealogical research material is available in the reference room.
These include: Books, family histories, and microfilm of census records and county newspapers. Access to the Ancestry Library and Heritage Quest online Genealogical Databases is available through the computers in the EMR Room.
- There are two microfilm/fiche reader/printers available to the public, in conjunction with numerous periodicals and local newspapers on microfiche.
Service fee is 10 cents per copy.
- LearningExpress Library is a comprehensive, interactive online learning platform of practice tests and tutorial course series.
- GED Connection / Workplace Essentials Videos.
- A wheelchair and baby stroller are available upon request.
- The Friends of the Library Room is available for use by Henry County groups.