HCL Logo

The Truman Area Community Network
A Community Information Source
supported by the Henry County Library

 

Encyclopedia of Missouri - Other

The Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri was edited by Howard L. Conard and published by the Southern History Company, of New York, Louisville, and St. Louis, in 1901.

The University of Missouri Library has made avilable the entire contents of the 6 volume set on its website as part of the Virtually Missouri project. The books are in a section called Missouri: Its History, Geology and Culture.

The following items have been taken from the book:

[Encyclopedia of Missouri Main Page] [TACnet's History Page] [TACnet Home]

Baird College

Baird College, An educational institution founded by Mr. and Mrs. H.T. Baird, at Clinton, in 1885. The school was established on the scholarship plan, and the building is one of the best of its kind in the State. For twelve years Baird College was one of the leading schools for young ladies in the West, the average enrollment being about 150. Through n unfortunate circumstance, the school was not opened during 1899-1900, but the citizens of Clinton expect it to be only a temporary suspension.

[Back to Top of Page]


Clinton Academy

Clinton Academy, An educational institution formerly conducted at Clinton and founded buy W. H. Staid. In 1881 Emilius P. Lamkin became associated with Mr. Staid and soon afterward assumed complete control. The school was first conducted in rooms over a store building on the south side of the square, but afterward was moved to a one-story frame building on North Second Street. The lack of suitable buildings was also an obstacle in the way of a large attendance. The enrollment averaged about 125 each year. The work done was not surpassed by any school of its class, and the courses offered were exceptionally advanced. The school was chartered in 1885, and degrees were conferred upon the completion of the classical, scientific, English, or commercial courses. From 1882 to 1896 there were seventy-one graduates, many of whom are rising into prominence in their chosen life work. In 1891 the secret society of Phi Lambda Epsilon was founded by four of the students in the academy. The death of the principal, Professor Lamkin, in the middle of the term of 1893-94, was an irreparable loss to the school. For the remainder of that session the associate principal, William M Godwin, and Charles F. and Uel W. Lamkin, conducted the work. The following year the Rev. J. S. Worley and W. H. Forsythe were joint principals, and during 1895-96 Rev. J. L. Darsie was at the head of the institution. At the close of 1895-96 the doors of the academy were permanently closed.

[Back to Top of Page]


Grand River

Grand River, ....Another stream called Grand River rises in Kansas and flows through Cass, Bates, Henry, and Benton Counties of Missouri, a distance of 100 miles.

[Back to Top of Page]

[Encyclopedia of Missouri Main Page] [TACnet's History Page] [TACnet Home]


[TACnet Home Page] [Henry County Library]
 
Truman Area Community Network, Inc.
Send comments to: Webmaster, mike.good@henrycolib.org
URL:http://tacnet.missouri.org/history/encycmo/other.html
Last modified: Monday, 02-Jun-2008 14:01:15 CDT