The Truman Area Community Network
The highway map below was prepared at the State School of Mines (now the University of Missouri at Rolla) in 1940 and revised in May of 1941. It shows all the existing roads, railroads, and all of the rural schools in existence at the time. Rural churches are also shown, although not all of them are named.
The map shows many roads that later were closed or relocated as a result of coal mining activities and the construction of Montrose Lake and Truman Lake. It should be noted that the only paved roads in the county at this time were state highways 2, 13, 35 (now 7), and 52. Highway 18 and the portion of Highway 35 (7) east of Clinton towards Warsaw were at this time still gravel.
The Missouri Kansas Texas (Katy), St. Louis - San Francisco (Frisco) and Chicago Rock Island & Pacific (Rock Island) railroad lines are shown, as is the spur from the Rock Island Railroad to the Windsor Coal Company's mine in section 9, about 3 miles west of Windsor.
[Return to History Page]