The Truman Area Community Network
This is a composite of trackage in the area and is not precisely to scale. Some trackage built has been left out as it overlapped earlier tracks.
Note: The first version of this map showed the Leaky Roof station to the west of all three of the yard tracks. Actually it was between the western and middle tracks, and the current map shows this correctly.
The White Swan and Kracke Mills were gone by the mid 1920s and the Hurley Elevator by the 1930s. The Keyes Elevator was still extent but ceased shipping by rail by the 60s. In 2003 the remaining facilities were bought by Farmers Elevator and torn down. The Farmers Elevator opened in 1919 and the Ready Mix plant still later. The spur through Farmers Elevator was removed ca 1990.
The MKT removed considerable excess trackage in 1963 and more in the early 1980s. The Union Pacific removed most of the remaining trackage around 1990, leaving only the siding east of the main track, extending from just north of Allen Street to just south of Ohio Street
The MKT in late 1978 transferred its operations from the old MKT station to the former Frisco station on Green Street. The MKT station was sold and moved in 1979 to its current location at the Southeast Corner of the Clinton Square (Main & Jefferson Streets) and remodeled to serve as the office the Chamber of Commerce.
The KCC&S in the 1890s also had a siding south of MK&T crossing at South Clinton with a connection to the MK&T main track on the east side of the crossing; this was removed sometime before 1915. (Not shown on map).
The Frisco purchased the KCC&S in 1924 and in 1926 rerouted trains from the old KCC&S line over the Allen Street connection to the MK&T and thence north to North Clinton and over the Blair Line tracks south to Deepwater Junction (Dejun). The enginehouse north of Rogers Street and the KCC&S stockyard were removed at this time. The interlocking at South Clinton was taken out of service in 1927 but the tower was not officially abandoned by the MK&T until 1935. South Tower was later purchased by private parties and moved west and north to its present location behind Golden Valley Day Care. The KCC&S station was torn down around 1926 or 1927 and the foundation reused under a gasoline distributor's warehouse.
In 1935 the former KCC&S line from Clinton to Belton was abandoned and the track west of Orchard St. was removed. The track up to Orchard was used as a tail track so the Frisco could continue to access the former KCC&S trackage north of Allen Street. This remained in use into the 1960s at least, mainly to serve several gasoline distributors. Most of the trackage was removed in the late 1960s.
In the late 1950s Orchard Street was extended south to Rogers Street. The Frisco built a spur to serve a propane distribution facility located about where the old KCC&S enginehouse had been and later extended the tail track across Orchard St. to serve a factory there. Both plants still exist but the trackage was removed in the early 1980s. (These spurs are not shown on this map.)
The Clinton Street Railway operated horse cars on its line from 1888 until 1903 when the line was taken up. The line started at Franklin and the MK&T tracks and went west on Franklin, south on Washington, west on Ohio, south on Orchard, west on Allen, and then south and then southwest into the Artesian Park to the Hotel, approximately where the American Legion parking lot is now located. The car barn was north of the Gulf Hotel, on Ohio Street near Water.